Maybe All I Need Is A Shot In the ... Stifle?

What do you mean "injections"?!
As I've hinted a bit both on the blog and off, Pig hasn't been moving as fluidly as he could. Back in January, I had his hocks injected and started a round of Estrone to help his stifles slide a little better while we legged up for the season. At that time, my vet and I discussed having the right stifle injected if the Estrone didn't seem to do the job.

The Estrone helped a lot with Pig's stifle "slipping" issues, and those have basically disappeared completely. However, he still felt a little off on the stifle. I debated calling the vet out, but instead decided to try a series of Adequan shots just before my last show.
Obviously that worked well... 
After shot number 3, there was a noticeable difference in Pig's freedom of movement. His confidence went up, and his nervousness went down. It was definitely working. I planned to use another series of shots prior to my May show, but then Adequan shortages hit again. While I was frantically trying to source more Adequan, I decided to just bite the bullet and call my vet for a more permanent solution for that damn right stifle.
Stalker photo of my vet prepping the joint goodies.
Pig is notoriously difficult for anything involving his stifles, especially now. He's ticklish naturally, and now the area is the site of pain. This means he is extremely reactive; hopping, bolting, and kicking out are common responses. Obviously we moved immediately to drug him.
No shame Buddy, we've all been there... 
Then, he kicked the needle right onto the floor. So we drugged him again. Then we twitched him. Because, why not beat a dead drugged horse. Right?

Don't worry. That managed to get the job done, though he was still pretty twitchy and reactive for the procedure. Even though he was too drunk to stand (I had to hold him up). Even 20 minutes later he was still so far gone that walking wasn't possible.

I feel like we've all lived out this scene on some late college night...

Finally I did get him into a stall, where he did sober up after a few hours.
No hay for drunks.
He has today on stall rest, and tomorrow off. Then we slowly reintroduce work, being back up to full collection work by the end of next week. Fingers crossed the injections work their magic, and my old buddy feels more comfortable in his work! Though, my vet did drop off a vial of Adequan from his secret stash. Just in case.

(Unrelated. Go check out L Williams celebration of 1500 crazy-ass posts. I think she's giving some shit away, too. But you don't need to worry about that, because I'm gonna win it all based on my stellar limerick-ability and the fact that the prize giving is on my birthday... so, duh.)

Comments

  1. Yeah so we'll just send you every present ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a drunk horse. Hope he feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that does the trick! I panicked about where to get my own 10-dose vial of Adequan. Seriously, a huge company like that shouldn't have shortages. My vet did come through for me, in time for Penn to get 5 doses before the May show. That's fine by me, I'm not sure it will really help with his issues, and I'll use what's left to inject him monthly instead of buying more feed through supplement. By the way... I'M SO EXCITED TO MEET YOU GUYS AT THE MAY SHOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO EXCITED TOOOOO

      I really didn't notice any change until the 3rd dose, so don't panic if you don't either. Re: shortages, the FDA actually forced a partial shutdown of their facility. Thus, shortages.

      Delete
    2. Responding kind of late here, but why would they force a shut down? I should probably google it.

      And Megan, you know any of us would host you here on the East coast, and we could probably rent a farm with a big guesthouse and just have a huge blogger/pony weekend. Just throwing it out there. ;-)

      Delete
    3. I think the fad mandated some plant updates that required the place to be shut down for a period so they could be reinspected...

      Delete
    4. Ugh. FDA. Stupid autocorrect.

      Delete
  4. ohhhh Pig. yup we've all been there haha. here's hoping the magikal juice does its stuff super well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, he's already magikal so it can only help, right?

      Delete
  5. Hahah, silly drunk pony. Hope he feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You win with the drunk video. Nothing beats exploiting your drunk friends. And horse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few things I love more than drunk horse shaming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww he's so cute when he's drunk! Fingers crossed that he'll be feeling great soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol oh poor drunk Pig! If he only knew it would make him feel better

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment