August Goals | July Analysis
1. Take advantage of the truck and trailer being easily accessible this month to ride with Nancy more.
Success! Pig and I took several trips last month, and one was out to see Nancy. Getting an extra ride in with her monthly is so worth it!
|We also visited Jen and Connor!|
2. Fix the crooked horse! Get Guinness really straight and working through, especially engage that right hind!
(I wrote more on this here) It may have taken all month, but I finally feel like I can reliably get Guinness straight. It might take 15 minutes to get him flexible enough, and he might not be able to hold it much longer than another 15 minutes of work, but dammit. We can do it!
3. Fix the crooked rider! Commit weighting the correct seatbone to muscle memory, and increase hip flexibility.
Ah. Much, much, much better here! Body awareness
+. Of course, this means I'm going to have some other amazing way I'm off kilter pointed out in my next lesson. Bring it on!
4. Start asking for more intense movement strings from Pig while keeping thoroughness.
Unless you count asking for a tiny travers and a few steps of correct shoulder-in on the same long side, no. This is a fail. Getting straight without fights or tension took too long to be able to introduce more stressful training.
5. Fix Floating Leg Syndrome. Try to keep my legs on and back without holding with the thighs or knees. Gotta fix this to 100% separate seat from leg. So close!!
Still close. Not 100%, but much better. I need to stop clamping on my lower leg and expecting something to happen from that.
6. Ride more horses so I can fix my own straightness issues!
Yes! I've been averaging two rides a day (Guinness + a young/green OTTB). Riding an honest green horse has been so helpful for me to feel when I'm doing things all crooked.
|Meet Tori! She's adorable!|
July Personal Goals
1. Yoga twice a week. Up the ante! (Cue internal groan-fest)
Uh ... no. Once a week? Yes. Regular stretching? Sure. However, that's as far as it has gone.
2. Increase runs back to 15-18 miles a week. Run a 7 miler.
Yes! Weeks have averaged 18 miles. Last week I ran my first 8 miler in 4 years, and ran a weekly total of 19.5 miles. Yes. It feels so good. (Of course, I did strain something in my foot and will now have a week of almost no runs. Crap.)
|Old Black Dog is getting slower as he gets older, but he is still The Best Dog.|
3. Achieve daily to-do list of zero nightly, and set up list for next day before bed.
Uh. Fail. Straight up fail.
4. Get to bed before 10p on the week days. Sleep is important and I need to stop skimping on it.
Partial success. The first part of the month this was really difficult (especially on days I rode two horses after work!). Fortunately, I have been able to get this back on track for the most part and haven't been to bed too late in a couple of weeks.
August Goals1. Keep rides fairly stress free for Pig.
2. Focus on balance and straightness in every ride. Get that before moving on to something else, and reestablish it when it's lost instead of moving on.
3. Start adding in shoulder-in/travers more often.
4. Work on the medium trot again. He is starting to get it now that he's straight. Push for more.
5. Carry over the straightness and balance work into the canter. It's weaker now.
6. Canter departs need more sit. Downwards need more push. Work it.
August Personal Goals
1. Heal foot. Ramp running back up.
2. Don't eat too much peanut butter while off of running.
|This is the peanut butter damage for the last week and a half... My name is Austen. I have an addiction.|
2. YOGA. Minimum of 30 min continuous once a week with 3 other sessions of quick stretches.
3. Graduate school ... so that's a thing.
|Gratuitous, but gorgeous, photo from our visit to Jen's picturesque barn.|