Increasing expectations

Hey guys, we're here, I promise! Life has been keeping me away from you, but I've been trying to keep up now and then by commenting on everyone's blogs. Whew.

So what's been happening with us?

Look at my horse! My horse is amazing!
When I left off, Pig and I were starting to work towards collection and 2nd level. That's still the plan, and I'm happy to report that things are progressing. The jump from 1st to 2nd is pretty huge, so the going feels slow. The big thing for us has been taking to heart my instructor's advice to "push for more" and "increase your expectations" of Guinness. She was completely right. More push and spring is in my horse, and I need to set the bar higher and push him to a higher level of work. It's so valuable to have a pair of eyes on the ground to help you see that.

As for me, things have been crazy. In addition to my busy full-time job, I'm in the process of starting up a freelance design business that is just eating up all of my free time (the whole 30 minutes of it that existed in the first place). On top of everything work and pony related, my husband is midway through his third year of medical school clinicals. That leaves me with 100% of the household to care for. Life as a twenty-something is pretty freaking busy.

Still, I'm trying hard to keep my priorities and expectations straight. I make it to the barn 4 days a week, religiously. Pig had a break (mainly hacking around and stretchy work at the trot and canter in the ring) for a couple of weeks, but he's back into full hard work. I try to get to the gym a minimum of 2 days a week, and exercise in some form outside of riding 3-4 days a week. According to my phone's GPS data, my dogs and I are averaging about 20 miles weekly on our own feet. So, that's fun. Everything else is just barely hanging on as I try to cram too many projects and necessities into a day. I'm still getting all my sleep, but only because that's a priority, too.

I'll be back in to update you all soon, and hopefully can get a few posts written to keep up. There's a lot of training work that I can't wait to share with you all!

Keep your eyes on the prize, kids. Even if the prize is just surviving the day and managing correct bend to the left. Sometimes, you gotta aim small.

Comments

  1. Holy cow you are busy girl! Mad respect. Can't wait to hear how the training is going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you have a crazy schedule. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks guys! I'm certainly busy, but I like it that way. Training updates are on the way, I just have to get the videos edited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! With all that hard work y'all will be rocking 2nd level soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad that things are working out for you but don't over do it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment