L Program

The L Program is coming to my barn this month, and I am so excited. For those of you unfamiliar, the L Program is described by the USDF as an "educational training program teaches judges to evaluate the correct training of dressage horses." However, it's far more than that, focusing on teaching the basics of judging and movements as they apply to the requirements of the lower levels. Most of it is open to all USDF members, and it is held in multiple locations and at different times throughout the year.
Fun fact: I've always wanted to sit in on the L Program.
The program is split into two parts, each one consisting of 3 sessions. The first part focuses on the basics of evaluating the basics of a ride and judging. This part is available to all USDF members, regardless of status or show record. The second part focuses less on general education, and more on the practical skills of judging. This second part is geared more for those who truly want to pursue judging, and is only open to USDF members who meet certain competition requirements. The entire program is very useful for anyone who wishes to show dressage, or further understand judging from an objective standpoint.

My barn is hosting Part 1, Session A this year, with well-known S and 4* judge Lois Yukins as the instructor. At the end of last year, a call went out requesting volunteers to ride different levels for the program. Most spots filled immediately. Somehow when I inquired later (after Bast had proven he had settled at the farm), a training level slot was still open. Obviously, I applied.
I mean, we're kinda training level capable, right?
My submission required video proof my horse and I could execute at the level required. This video came about during the time I was heavily experimenting with bits for Bast, trying to reduce his mouth-gaping tendencies. It took quite awhile to get, but finally was managed. (click for video)
We were accepted! I am so looking forward to riding for the program at the end of the month, and hope desperately Bast and I don't make fools of ourselves. Apparently this portion of the program does not require us to ride the entire test, only portions of movements as requested. For more on this session, check out this video from USDF. I think we're capable of everything asked of us, though our canter departs are still a bit questionable at times and Bast will often gap his mouth in transitions or at the walk.
Small steps make up training, right?
I can't wait to update you guys on how our ride goes at the end of the month. I'm hoping I get to sit in on some of the instruction, because I've always been interested in judging and better being able to evaluate ride quality. Plus, Lois Yukins has been tough on me in the past (rightfully, haha). It'll be interesting overall to hear what she has to say.

Anyone out there ever done the L Program or think about signing up for it? Have any of you ridden for a similar program?

Comments

  1. If this has been at your barn in the past I think I’ve seen a couple YouTube videos of it. So cool that you get to ride in this program! I can’t wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's been here recently, but may have been years ago.

      Delete
  2. I was just accepted into one in Arizona this fall, I'm stoked, hopefully they'll hold a part 2 but so far I'm signed up for part 1 and indicated that I wanted a part 2. Super excited to hear how you think it is from a rider's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So cool! We're all going to be so educated about the L Program this year. :)

      Delete
  3. I want to complete the L program one day!! ... also LY is on my black list. She is a C YOU NEXT TUESDAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg she hated Pig so much. Nothing we did was okay. Haha. All of my terrible first level scores are from her. I can't WAIT to hear her feedback about Bast. LOL

      Delete
  4. Lmao at Karen’s comment. I’m so interested to hear about this! L program fascinated me but we don’t have it in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to see how this goes! I hope you get tons of good feedback, even if this lady sounds like a total cow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣 I wouldn't call her a cow. I've had very unfair judges, and she isn't one. She's just very strict on throughness, which Pig legit struggled with. Haha

      Delete
  6. This sounds like such a great opportunity. I’d love to audit something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats!! that's seriously exciting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! Congratulations! Will Emma be able to get media of you participating in the program? (or you know some other victim...tribute... I mean volunteer.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SO exciting for you guys! Can't wait for all the details:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment